Title: Rosin
Additional Names: Colophony; yellow resin; abietic anhydride
Literature References: Residue left after distilling off the volatile oil from the oleoresin obtained from Pinus palustris and other species of Pinus, Pinaceae. Offered as wood rosin (from Southern pine stumps), gum rosin (the exudate from incisions in the living tree, P. palustris and P. caribaea), and tall oil rosin, see Tall Oil. Rosin is chiefly produced in the U.S.A. Constit. About 90% resin acids and 10% neutral matter. Of the resin acids about 90% are isomeric with abietic acid (C20H30O2); the other 10% is a mixture of dihydroabietic acid (C20H32O2) and dehydroabietic acid (C20H28O2).
Properties: Pale yellow to amber, translucent fragments; brittle fracture at ordinary temp; slight turpentine odor and taste. Readily fusible when heated. d 1.07-1.09. Acid no. not less than 150. Insol in water. Freely sol in alc, benzene, ether, glacial acetic acid, oils, carbon disulfide; also sol in dil solns or fixed alkali hydroxides.
Density: d 1.07-1.09
Use: Manuf varnishes, varnish and paint driers, printing inks, cements, soap, sealing wax, wood polishes, floor coverings, paper, plastics, fireworks, tree wax, sizes, rosin oil; for water-proofing cardboard, walls, etc. Pharmaceutic aid (stiffening agent).

Others monographs:
ProtactiniumApronalideOctyl Acetateβ-Glucogallin
AplavirocMethyl SulfateSultosilic AcidFasidotril
FomepizoleSuccinylcholine BromideSulfazecinCupric Bromide
Vitamin(s) LFucosamineButhalital SodiumMethaqualone
©2016 DrugLead US FDA&EMEA